March 30, 2006

Calvary Chapel Kona


I have, for the record, thoroughly enjoyed my time in Hawaii. My sabatical here has allowed me so many opportunities to meet a variety of people from all over the world! I though Oxford was a melting pot...but never have I been introduced to such a variety of cultures as on this island in the middle of the pacific! It's amazing to me how that works. One of the greatest blessings I have had since living here has been to attend Calvary Chapel Kona (click on title to view link). The fellowship meets every sunday morning on the beach...where breakfast for everyone, especially the homeless/needy is served...rice, eggs, sausage, tabasco sauce...what more could you want! Then, worship time, full drumset even on the beach...kind of interesting i must admit. Following the worship/singing time, we have Aloha time, a 20 minutish break to allow mingling, fellowship...and donuts. I love this addition to the worship service. Having the break in the middle, allows us to worship, unite, and then keep worshiping as we settle back under the trees, with the ocean just beyond while we listen to the sermon while gazing o'er the waters...seeing even an occasional jumping humpback whale!

Not only have I learned a lot about being available to people myself, but have received an amazing outpouring of love from everyone there. The picture posted above was taken at Issy's (the pastor) house. Keoni, and Daniel, Issy's son, are jumping off a Very high lava rock wall onto a NOT soft packed dirt mound. Daniel is the biggest dare devil i've ever known. I understand that young boys go crazy, but this kid is made of rubber. It's not uncommon to drive up to the house, see him on some railing of roof and watch him jump gracefully down from the ROOF, hop on an unbalanced 2x4, land on the steep driveway and run with all his strength for a hug and a kiss that always greets him! Daniel is such an awesome boy! I have threatened to bring him back with me to Texas, and would if I could, but his parents seem to like him as well! He is the only boy, surrounded by 3 sisters...Michelle, just younger than Daniel is on the wall looking down as well...as is Spencer, the son of the couple I live with.

I have been able to attend a variety of worship experiences over the past several years...and found blessings at all. I have also found frustrations with all...as is the sin of humanity. We all fall short of the Glory of God...and MUST help one another if we are to be the Church. Though I have never found a congregation that i can say I agree with and am pleased by all that they offer. I'm okay with this. There is so much more. It is about LOVE, and great Love is born of suffering, and struggling through things, with, and for each other. Our Saviour taught us this well. I have greatly appreciated the attitude of the pastor and congregation here in Hawaii...very rarely does a Sunday pass in which Issy has not led prayer calling for the Lord to bless ALL congregations meeting together. Even when i have KNOWN he doesn't agree or like a certain fellowships style, he communicates with a very optimistic, non condemning, always encouraging manor. May we all learn from this...it is edifying for the Church of Christ...there is only ONE.

Please keep me in your prayers as I seek to make wise decisions concerning my immediate future. God is good, I have enjoyed this time to study, rest, refresh, and Know Him. Thank you for your love and support.

No comments: